ArahPaint5 for Windows available for download
We are pleased to announce the availability of ArahPaint5 for Windows. If you are an Arahne’s jacquard customer, you probably know ArahPaint. Linux customers are using ArahPaint4.1, it is an older version based on Qt 3.4. We have now ported the program to new version of Qt 4.8, which enabled us to port the program to Windows and Mac OSX, and add some new features.
New features include:
– display of freehand mouse pen preview in actual pixel size
– total redesign of image resize window; easy conversion from size in pixels, percentage, density in threads or dpi
– ability to import PDF, Postscript and SVG vector images
– flexible guide indicators, double click on ruler to set them
– loading of colormap from image, for easy conversion from one colormap to another.
– ability to keep unused colors in colormap, for customers who use fixed colormaps for all their images for technical reasons. Toggle “Colors > Keep colormap from image”, in order to use that.
– new gradient filter
– PDF manuals available from help menu
– since ArahPaint5 on Windows must work without ArahWeave, it is able to save setup, change language or default directory.
ArahPaint can load 49 image formats (PNG, TIFF, JPG, BMP, GIF), jacquard formats (Staubli, Bonas, Grosse, AVL …), dobby formts (WIF, Somet, Vamatex, Sulzer, Staubli, Dornier, SmitTextile, …) as well as some custom image formats from competition (old EAT, old Nedgraphics, Colorado, IAM, Sophis, …).
ArahPaint5 for windows can only save images in PNG, GIF or JPEG format, TIFF and BMP will be added later.
Why is it free? Well, it was free from version 3.0 back in the year 2000, just that up to now it was for Linux only, so it was not as popular as it should have been. Now Staubli has sponsored porting of ArahPaint to Windows, since they plan to use it with their carpet looms. We hope that ArahPaint5 on Windows and Mac OSX will become popular among weavers, they will be more aware of Arahne’s software and will want to try (and buy) ArahWeave, which runs only on Linux.
This is the fist public release, so it is considered beta quality.
Please report any bugs or problems to firstname.lastname@example.org